Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Retranslation Making More Sense!

Although I'm in a drought with my dissertation at the moment due to some emotional valleys, I decided this week to retranslate some of the rockier parts of my Collection I translations of Macarius. I started with the first one today, Logos V.2.3, and just the last few sentences. But now they make more sense to me and they are actually very encouraging in this season of grief and sorrow. Hope they encourage you too.

"It is joy for the one who mourns and those who are burdened, and consolation refreshing the afflicted, and the tears and the groaning out of the depths of their hearts produce delights for those who belong to the house/family of God. For those who bypass this measure/rule by avoiding all affliction from the face of the soul are also the ones who forsake the tears, grace and love carried by/through the Lord. For such is the measure of completeness."

I know that when the tears come, there is healing in them and God is present with all those who mourn. In fact, he is a fellow mourner sitting with us in the dust. I appreciate your prayers that I would mourn as the grief comes, but be faithful to move forward with life when God gives me a good day like today. Today I used one of the humongous Greek-English concordances that my father and step-mom gave me for Christmas a few years back. It brought tears to my eyes, but thankfulness for that continuing symbol of their support in this project.

No comments: