Sunday, October 08, 2006

am I useful?

My husband and I were discussing today's sermon about the Hot, Cold, and Lukewarm passage in the third chapter of Revelations. From his time in Turkey and a sermon he once heard while at Miami University, he explained that this passage was in part about being useful. Apparently Laodicea had to get its water via extensive aqueducts whereas one nearby metropolis was known for its mountain springs with cold water and another with hot springs for spa enthusiasts. Not only were the Laodiceans wealthy with tremendous linen, banking, and medical industries, they were apparently not allowing these resources to be used for God's glory. They also failed to realize their need of God.

I found these notions to be interesting as being a mom to a one year old is a challenging life of which the 'useful' output is not always easily measurable. At the same time, I'm working when I have free time on my dissertation and that is not nearly producing as tremendously great measurable volumes of work as I would aspire to (i.e. 30 some pages written in the past 6+ months!) So now I want to spend some time this week reflecting on what it means to be useful and asking myself if I am useful to God, available for His use, and trying to spend some intentional time laying myself at his feet each day to be reminded of his rightful ownership of my life. Who owns me? What is my focus? What does it mean to be useful?

No comments: